Permit Fees

2024 Public Works Permit fees are as follows: 

Click here for the full list of Public Works Permit Fees

Permit Type

Permit Fee

Encroachment permit - An encroachment permit is necessary when anyone (including utility companies, residents and contractors) works in the City right-of-way, City-owned land, and/or within a City easement. A few examples include: Installing or modifying sidewalk, curb or gutter. Installing or modifying a driveway approach.
Minor Permit: $550
Major Permit: $750
Banner Permit - Authorization to hang a banner across main street at 1335 Main Street, St. Helena.

Public Tree Removal /Pruning Permit - All trees located in the City right-of-way are covered by Section 17.10 of the Municipal Code. If you wish to prune, root prune, remove or replace any trees in the City right-of-way, a tree permit/contract and encroachment permit/contract will be required.

Grading Permit - Authorization by the city to perform grading work in private property. Permits require information on excavation, slope of area, fill depth and quantity, drainage, erosion control methods and proximity to streams creeks or other natural drainage areas. 
Raw Water Permit - Municipal Code § 13.04.080 Non-treated (Raw) Water from Lower Reservoir: City in its discretion may provide non-treated (raw) water from its Lower Reservoir to be used for grading, dust control, street, pipeline, or similar construction activities, as well as for irrigation.
Transportation Permit - Transportation permits are required within the City of St Helena when a vehicle and/or vehicle load is larger than the following dimensions: 8’6” in width, 14’ in height, 40’ in length (single unit) or 65’ in length (combo unit).
$100 one day
$150 one week
$250 one year
Well Permit  - Application to construct a water well to tap into the underground aquifer on private property in compliance with St. Helena Well Ordinance 2021-1

** Work without a permit = Double the Adopted Fee